Nutrients per 100g
Energy (kcal) – 32.27
Carbohydrates (g) – 5.13
Protein (g) – 1.44
Fat (g) – 0.32
Fiber (g) – 8.59
Iron (mg) – 0.32
Vitamin B9( folic acid ) (µg) – 29.76
Calcium (mg) – 18.52
Vitamin C (mg) – 214
Sodium (mg) – 2.87
Potassium (mg) – 283
Guava should not be taken for low potassium diet
Guava is a sweet and delicious fruit cultivated in tropical climates. This seasonal fruit, scientifically known as Psidium guajava, is round or pear-shaped. This popular fruit is a powerhouse of nutrients.
As per USDA National Nutrient Database, guava is a good source of energy, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The guava fruit contains vitamin C, A, E, B-vitamins, as well as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, sodium, and zinc.
Health benefits of guava
- The intake of guava can help patients suffering from diabetes. It contains a high level of dietary fiber, which has a beneficial effect on lowering blood glucose levels in the body.
- Research published in the American Journal of Cardiology found that guava helped reduce LDL cholesterol levels and blood pressure in study participants.The fruit, being very rich in fiber and hypoglycemic in nature, was also beneficial in helping to reduce blood pressure.
- Guava contains astringent. It is alkaline in nature and have disinfectant and anti-bacterial properties, thus helping cure dysentery by inhibiting microbial growth and removing extra mucus from the intestines. Furthermore, other nutrients such as vitamin C, carotenoids and potassium, strengthen the digestive system while simultaneously disinfecting it. The fruit is also beneficial in treating gastroenteritis.
- Guava is one of the richest sources of dietary fiber amongst fruits, and its seeds serve as excellent laxatives.
- Guava is rich in vitamin C and a number of other important phytonutrients that can help reduce and even eliminate free radicals, slowing down oxidative stress in the body.
- High content of vitamin C in guavas, four times higher than that found in oranges,
- helps boost the immune system and helps to treat scurvy.